Search This Blog

Friday, December 21, 2012

Tilapia Pecan



After a few evenings of not being home for dinner, I just want to be HOME!  I'd never make it as one of those road-warriors.  I like to cook dinner at my house.  This past week was one of those weeks where we were out more than we were in.  By Thursday (which felt like Friday) I was ready to cook my own dinner and enjoy an evening at home with my hubby.  The weather looked like it was going to be cold and snowy.  All the more reason to stay home.

And, a great reason for a fire in the fireplace.  Here's Wee Mac checking out the fireplace then enjoying the fire:




With the big party coming up in a few weeks, we've got to start stocking up on wine and beer.  And, we needed to do a Sauvignon Blanc testing.  That meant I needed to make something that'd go well with a crisp white wine.  Out came my trusty list of recipes to try.  Top choice?  Catfish Pecan from Commander's Wild Side.  This cookbook is rapidly becoming the most used cookbook in my collection.  And, with one exception, everything has been fabulous.

Out to the freezer to collect catfish, peppers and pecans.  I had cod, flounder, tuna, shrimp, scallops and tilapia.  No catfish.  Hmmp!  Tilapia would have to do.  What to serve with it?  Quinoa would be perfect. A bit nutty but nothing that'd overwhelm the fish.  And, more of the fantastic asparagus we'd had the other evening.  From yet another bargain bin cookbook. 

What did we think?  Fabulous.  I'd make it again tonight.  Make sure your pan and oil are really hot so you get a great crust on the fish. That was the best part!  Since I was only making two small tilapia filets, I didn't make a whole recipe.  The recipe below is as I made it.

Tilapia Pecan

Ingredients:

for the fish:
1/4 c pecan halves
1/4 c flour
2 t Creole seasoning (we use Emerils)
1 egg
1/4 c milk
2 tilapia filets
1 t Creole seasoning
2 T olive oil

for the Olive Oil Meuniere Sauce:
3 T extra virgin olive oil
1/3 c minced bell peppers (I used green and orange)
1 T minced shallot
1/2 c pecan halves
1 t thyme
1 lemon, halved
5 shakes Tabasco
1/2 t Worcestershire sauce
1 t Creole seasoning

Directions:

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the 1/4 c pecan halves, flour and 2 t of Creole seasoning.  Process until it's smooth. 



Put the pecan flour in a wide, shallow bowl.  Whisk the milk and egg together in another wide, shallow bowl. 

In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil to shimmering.  Sprinkle the filets with the 1 t Creole seasoning.  Dip them in the milk/egg mixture then in the pecan flour.  Saute until they're nice and brown on both sides.  Remove the fish from the skillet and wipe the skillet clean.  Put in the extra virgin olive oil, bell peppers, shallots, pecan halves and thyme.  Cook for a couple of minutes then add in the leftover pecan flour.  There shouldn't be more than about a tablespoon of that left.  Cook that for a couple of minutes.  Finally, squeeze the lemon halves into the pecan mixture.  Add the Tabasco, Worcestershire and Creole seasoning. 



Serve the sauce over the fish.

adapted from Commanders Wild Side

No comments: